Mini Virginia Variation

January 20, 2016

I recently got the chance to sew up a pattern variation for one of Megan Nielsen’s new children’s patterns, the Mini Virginia Leggings.  You can read what I’ll loosely call a “tutorial” over at her blog soon.  I added a tennis skirt to the leggings which Anaya can now wear to class during colder months.  Woot. I may have to make one for myself.



November 9, 2015

This second half of the year has been all Star Wars and Harry Potter, so much so that I can’t wait to see the new Star Wars movie and I now know most of the HP spells and what they do.  These costumes were kind of a breeze this year, which was nice. I was going to make the robe myself, but then found one with a missing button at the party store for $10 so I thought it was worth it.  I did add the bias trim to Anaya’s sweater but thrifted the whole outfit for about $6. We also made the wands ourselves using a 1/2″ dowel, some paper wrapped around it, hot glue and some paint…oh and Mod Podge, of course. I can’t find the tutorial we used online but there’s are tons out there that all use the same-ish technique. Kids were super psyched.

Japanese Pattern Books, Sewing

First Day of 3rd Grade Dress

September 3, 2015

So it was that time again, to indulge in a tradition that I concocted myself that inevitably causes me to procrastinate and then stress in 40th hour to get it done…the First Day of School Dress.  Anaya doesn’t even ask if she’s getting one now, but this year I made her look through patterns and fabric so it wasn’t a shot in the dark.  She specifically asked to something a little more fitted in the torso (sigh) and then flowy at the bottom.  Off to pinterest I went…and found this lovely dress by the very talented Sanae Ishisa who shares a love of all patterns Japanese.  Luckily I had the book it came from and it didn’t even occur to me to modify the pattern and chop off the sleeves, which makes it so much more appealing (to me).


I couldn’t find buttons I liked so I just went with 4 different ones in the same shade, which Anaya liked.


I also added a pocket referencing A’s book series of choice at the moment…all things Harry. It came out super sweet and is still pretty loose. A doesn’t seem to mind. The fabric is a lightweight cotton that came from my stash that I brought back from India. I’m so excited to have so much new inspiring fabric.



Tee for Ty – KCW Day 2

June 24, 2015

I’m finally participating in Kid’s Clothes Week where you sew something for the kids for 1 hour a day for the whole week.  It doesn’t seem like much but carving out an hour just to sew is not so easy.  It happens at night for me.  I wanted to sew something for Ty now that he’s 5 and seems to care every time I show Anaya a new dress I made for her.  He wore it to camp this morning so that’s a good sign. Continue Reading…



June 22, 2015

I love this dress and pattern.  I’m entering the Ishi Dress Content  so I made this little diddy for A.  I used some repurposed light blue linen from a skirt, some Ikea birds cotton, and some more repurposed dark grey linen from another skirt. Continue Reading…

Building & Making

Pinterest Success

June 17, 2015

Usually when I attempt diy projects I find on Pinterest, it’s a crap shoot as whether they work or not. I tried the water blob last year, which turned out to be a big fail. I’ve been wanting a fun interactive sprinkler in our back driveway/yard so I found this one on Pinterest, but was a little weary. The fact that PVC costs around 10 center is a big incentive so I figured it wouldn’t be a big disappointment if it didn’t work — but low and behold – IT TOTALLY WORKED. Continue Reading…


Simple Sillouette, Fancy Fabric

June 13, 2015

I’m on a mission to blog more about my sewing, which is ironic considering I haven’t sewn in about 3 months.  I think my motivation will be this upcoming KSW starting June 22.  I’ve signed up to do it 2 times and couldn’t follow through but I’ll be damned if I don’t post at least one thing on the KSW site.

Continue Reading…



June 3, 2014
So we’ve been employing a tickets and rewards system in our household for some time. It’s not super consistent in that the kids always forget they can buy stuff so they don’t really pay attention to how many tickets they have, but they do really like getting tickets.  It’s funny.  But my system thus far has been that I had 5-6 chores on these wood circles (similar to these) that I made one day that they could do to earn tickets. I meant to keep adding chores, but got lazy, so their options for earning tickets was limited.

Continue Reading…


New dress

June 3, 2014
This is a little ditty for a wee one that I ended up lining on top and bottom, and the bottom got a little poofy, which I think is fine since it’s for a 2T, but probably wouldn’t be so fine for a larger size.  It’s made completely from repurposed sari silk. The pattern is a bit of a hodge-podge mixture of pattern G from this Sunny Spot japanese book for the bodice and skirt pieces, and pattern M from this other japanese book for the bodice lining technique.

Continue Reading…


Daisy, finally.

March 28, 2014
After a winter of true and fairly sad hibernation, we are finally re-emerging. I have more energy, more inspiration, and definitely more motivation to make. It’s been at least a month and while it nags at me when I don’t sew, it was a bit of a relief to not feel any pressure. I don’t know why I put the pressure on myself to sew, but I do.  In any case, I’ve been wanting to test out this Daisy pattern by Citronille, and finally got around to it.  It looked straightforward from the zero french I know and it was.  Turns out even if your husband is a French professor, french sewing terminology is not easily translatable. I did fine with the pictures, although it wouldn’t hurt to throw some of the paragraphs into google translate.

Continue Reading…